Permitted Development

You can complete certain types of work without requiring planning permission.

These are called permitted development rights. In some areas of the country, known generally as ‘designated areas’, permitted development rights are more restricted. For example, if you live in:

  • a Conservation Area
  • a National Park
  • an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
  • a World Heritage Site or
  • the Norfolk or Suffolk Broads.

Therefore, you will need to apply for planning permission for certain types of work that do not need an application in other areas. There are also different requirements if the property is a listed building.


Our team through a site assessment can inform you if you have permitted development rights or for any reason why the development may not be permitted also if you need to apply for planning permission for all or part of the work. We can help with the running of your project and guide you on your permitted development requirements.